There is a saying “Better late than never” 🙂 thats exactly whats happening with this firmware for 5800. Just when i thought Nokia has ditched its first touch screen phone, here comes the sweet update.
There are some new features in the firmware most importantly there is Kinetic Scrolling. I don’t understand why it took Nokia this late to get this. anyways we have it finally. I’m happy for that, since any touch screen that doesn’t implement kinetic scroling is a crap phone. come on who wants to use scroll bar, when you are so addicted to the scrolling the way iphone or ipod touch does ?
Changelog for Firmware V40.0.005:
– Kinectic Scrolling everywhere except: main menu, application menu, browser
– Homescreen similar to that of 5530 with Contacts Bar (20 contacts)
– New awesome black theme. Better than Red.
– QWERTY Keyboard Auto Rotation (on text input screens)
– New screen when calls comes. This is only when phone is locked. you need to slide to answer or ignore. Its like iphone lock.
– Touch Screen is more responsive than before
– Ovi contacts is installed. No idea what it is.. Also real player is updated
How to update Firmware ?
One of the following methods should work for you-
1) Via OTA: Just enter *#0000# on your dial screen, then go to options- check for updates.
2) Via NSU: Connect the phone to the PC and check with nokia software updater
Usually this update takes lot of time to reach everyone. so be patient. You can check whether your model has firmare update using this site Nokia Update Finder
. Just enter your model code, found on the back of battery.
However if you can’t wait like me you have a solution. The updates are based on the product code. There is a way you can change it, so you’ll get the update immediately. Here is the nice post on how to do it. Change product code
This product code should work 0573797 for Indian models. If you’re on Windows 7. NSS gives you lot of trouble giving some product code error, to solve it right click on the short cut, run in windows XP comparability mode. Also select “use virtual colors” option.
What is missing.
For now the rotation from portrait mode to landscape mode is still very slow. I wish this was improved a bit.
Here is the video showing the new features of the firmware
Wow, where did nokia get this gorgeous looking N900 outta no where ? watched the video i must say the device definitely rocks. Desktop like experience right inside your pocket, what can anybody expect!
The best part about N900 is it runs linux. Nokia calls it Maemo, the Linux-based OS used by its existing MID devices. Thank god nokia finally understood the importance of linux and ditch aging Symbian OS.
The specs are pretty jaw-dropping!
- 600 MHz CPU
- 3.5 G and Wi-Fi connectivity
- 3D graphics accelerator with OpenGL ES 2.0 support
- 800 × 480 pixels WVGA touchscreen display
- 32GB of Memory expandable upto 48 gigs
- 5 Megapixel Camera with Carl Zeiss Optics , Dual LED flash
- Photo editor on device
- 800 × 480 resolution video recording
- Slide out Full QWERTY keyboard
- Maemo Browser with multitab browsing
- Full-screen browsing
- Maemo 5 with Multitasking
- Full Flash support
- Assisted-GPS receiver
- 3.5mm AV connector
- TV out
- Video playback file formats: .mp4, .avi, .wmv, .3gp; H.264, MPEG-4, Xvid, WMV, H.263.
- BL-5J 1320mAh battery
- Price : 500 euros
Nokia will be revealing more about the N900 at the Nokia World event next week. can’t wait for that. Till then enjoy the awesome videos.
Between i bought nokia 5800 express music recently. I should had really waited but there is a joke
“Whats the similarity between wife and gadgets ?”
“you should had waited lil more, you would have got better model” 😀